Media Statement: Local MP welcomes investment into State Highway safety upgrades

Electorate news
Thursday, June 23, 2016

MP for Taupo, Louise Upston, has welcomed the Government’s announcement to tackle some of Taupo’s most dangerous roads. 

Today the Government announced a $600 million road safety package to help bring down New Zealand’s road toll.

Up to $100 million will be invested annually in the programme over six years – $60 million more than is usually invested in road safety improvements each year.

Last month as part of Budget 2016 we also invested $357.9 million into key transport projects such as the Government’s Accelerated Regional Roading Programme which will improve safety and resilience on important routes in the regions and reduce journey times.

“We know that eight of 10 fatal and serious injury crashes on state highways occur on rural roads and 85 to 90 per cent of those are head on or where the driver runs off the road,” says Ms Upston.  

Work on State Highway 5: Mihi to Wairakei is expected to begin mid-2017, and has received $500,000 of funding. Potential treatments for consideration would include side barrier at high risk locations, rumble strips along edge lines and improved signage, with additional treatments to be confirmed following completion of the investigation phase. 

The project investigation stage is due to start 2016/17 for State Highway 1: Atiamuri to Wairakei and State Highway 1: Hatepe Hill to Turangi. 

The safety upgrades will include a combination of side barriers, rumble strips, wide centre line treatments and median barriers treatments along the corridor. 

“This is fantastic news for Taupo. On-going investment into the safety of our roads demonstrates the Government’s commitment to reducing death and serious injuries crashes on New Zealand roads,” Ms Upston said. 

ENDS.

Media contact: Jess van Haarlem Ph: 021 809 393

 

<